Hybrid Work Model
MathWorks has a hybrid work model that enables staff members to split their time between office and home. The hybrid model provides the advantage of having both in-person time with colleagues and flexible at-home life optimizations. Learn More.
Our database engineering team is expanding International support for our database infrastructure at MathWorks! Responsible for providing database reliability engineering. The primary platform we support is MariaDB/MySQL, but SQL Server, MongoDB, and other data-storage platforms are also used as required by customers of the Database team. Initiate performance tuning and troubleshoot performance issues. Automate manual and/or repetitive work. Champion and integrate database technologies that are best aligned with the needs of our application development teams in development.
- Provide technical leadership and consulting to development teams (i.e. define best practices, facilitate the adoption of those by development)
- Provide operational leadership in the administration of existing database infrastructure (i.e. Coordinate automation efforts to eliminate waste and reduce errors, evaluate and recommend improvements to existing infrastructure)
- Initiate performance tuning and troubleshooting performance issues – proactively seeks out and corrects causes of poor database performance (i.e. query design, missing or too many indexes, schema design, configuration issues, etc.)
- Evaluate and recommend enhancements to the database infrastructure (i.e. introduction of new technologies, implementation of features for technologies that are currently used, etc.)
- Keeping abreast of developments and best practices in database engineering.
- A bachelor's degree and 5 years of professional work experience (or a master's degree, or equivalent experience) is required.
- 3+ years of experience with MySQL/MariaDB Database Administration in a command line Linux environment.
- Multiple database platforms a definite plus! (i.e. SQL Server on Windows, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- Demonstrated exposure and aptitude with one or more database platforms; MariaDB/MySQL preferred.
- Understanding of the full-stack, from infrastructure to application
- Experience using at least one scripting language (Python, Shell, etc.)
- Excellent communication, problem solving, and team collaboration skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with multiple teams in a medium to large organization
- Experience with Amazon EC2/RDS or Azure a plus
- Experience in a globally distributed HA environment a plus
It's the chance to collaborate with bright, passionate people. It's the opportunity to accelerate the pace of discovery, innovation, and learning in engineering and science. And it’s a commitment to doing the right thing—for each individual, our customers, and the local community. We cultivate an enjoyable, participatory, and rational environment that champions individual growth, appreciates diversity, encourages initiative, values collaboration, shares success, and rewards excellence.
MathWorks develops MATLAB and Simulink, the leading technical computing software used by engineers and scientists. The company employs more than 5,000 people in 16 countries, with headquarters in Natick, Massachusetts, USA. MathWorks is privately held and has been profitable every year since its founding in 1984.
YOU + MathWorks = Unlimited Possibilities
Join Our Talent Network
Receive personalized job opportunities, stories, and company updates.
The MathWorks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. View The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement.
The pay transparency policy is available here.
MathWorks participates in E-Verify. View the E-Verify posters here.