What Is RANSAC?
Random sample consensus, or RANSAC, is an iterative method for estimating a mathematical model from a data set that contains outliers. The RANSAC algorithm works by identifying the outliers in a data set and estimating the desired model using data that does not contain outliers.
RANSAC is accomplished with the following steps
- Randomly selecting a subset of the data set
- Fitting a model to the selected subset
- Determining the number of outliers
- Repeating steps 1-3 for a prescribed number of iterations
For example, the equation of a line that best fits a set of points can be estimated using RANSAC.
Examples and How To
- Estimate geometric transform from matching point pairs using RANSAC (Documentation)
- Estimate fundamental matrix from corresponding points in stereo images with RANSAC (Documentation)
- Feature Detection, Extraction, and Matching (Documentation)