Live Script - comments and critique
4 views (last 30 days)
Show older comments
Knut on 19 Oct 2016
Commented: Matlab Challenged on 9 Feb 2017
I think it is great that Matlab is finally doing something like Live Script. I have been envious of Python collegues for some time. One can only hope that the actual implementation will improve over time.
1. I really love doing "adhoc" work in the regular editor, messing with stepping, going back and forth with the command window, plotting variables... I hope that the Live Script experience will become more like the regular editor.
2. Live Script feels sluggish. Long execution time, non-responsive visual feedback.
3. I miss interactive media playback elements (video, audio).
4. Certain Matlab constructs seems to be non-functional. E.g.: x = x(round(end/2):end); results in an error in my Live Script: >>Error using round >>Not enough input arguments.
5. I use Matlab and Powerpoint and other tools for prototyping, internalising comprehension, for documentation purposes and for discussing stuff with collegues and bosses. It would be interesting to be able to integrate graphics and script, making a graphical thing that one can interact with without it being a traditional "gui", say, display a model of a mass-spring system and allow the user to change the position of the mass and observe the results. I guess Simulink does such things?
6. Will we ever get to run Live Script in a webpage and/or in Matlab Mobile, will Mathworks find a way to continue making profits in that case?
Matlab Challenged on 9 Feb 2017
Just discovered Live Script and thought of using it for "Teaching in distance learning mode". I am not concerned about execution speed, but be great to have audio inserts and code execution as I introduce commands to the class.
Find more on Specifying Target for Graphics Output in Help Center and File Exchange
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!