User-controlled 3D Airplane Animation -- Set of examples
Updated Thu, 23 Jun 2016 20:23:35 +0000
DEMO Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHjyinJnIF8
This series of examples walks you through the steps to create a 3D plane animation controlled with the keyboard.
For the final result, see: "4 Getting fancy> 3 All together > FinalEx.m"
Folders with various examples. Skip right to 4 if you just want the final code!
1. Figure, axis, and plot objects & changing their properties
2. 3D patch objects - single patches, compound patches, rotating patches, translating patches, adding keyboard controls to patches
3. Camera control - changing camera position, target, orientation, and view angle. Following an airplane 1st person, 3rd person?
4. Stuff to improve viewing:
- Importing 3d models as patch objects - cessna, A10
- Adding ground with texture and lighting
- Adding the horizon
- Final example incorporating 1,2,3,4
*** Credit to Eric Johnson for his great STLREAD function on the file exchange: https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/22409-stl-file-reader
Originally created for use in Andy Ruina's flight dynamics course @ Cornell University.
**** NOTE: I use the "fig.Properties = 'something'" way of changing things. This works on MATLAB 2014b+. If you are using an older version, you will need to use something like set(fig,'Properties','something') To my knowledge, all other parts are compatible with previous versions.
Matthew Sheen (2022). User-controlled 3D Airplane Animation -- Set of examples (https://github.com/mws262/MatlabPlaneGraphics), GitHub. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
- Simulink > Simulation > View and Analyze Simulation Results >
- MATLAB > Graphics > Formatting and Annotation > 3-D Scene Control > Lighting, Transparency, and Shading >
- MATLAB > Graphics > Graphics Objects > Graphics Object Programming >
- MATLAB > Graphics > Graphics Objects > Specifying Target for Graphics Output >
- Engineering > Aerospace Engineering > Flight Dynamics >
Inspired by: STL File Reader
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!