App Designer is a new environment for building MATLAB apps. There are many advantages to migrating existing GUIDE apps to App Designer including:
- An improved design canvas, and a new generated code structure that makes it easier to share data across the app.
- An expanded component set with a full set of standard user interface components, new components such as a tree, date picker, and an enhanced table, as well as components to create control panels and human-machine interfaces.
- Ability to deploy to the web, so you can share your app with anyone in your organization, or run it in MATLAB Online for easier access.
The migration tool will automatically generate an App Designer MLAPP-File from a GUIDE app. The MLAPP-file contains:
• Components with their properties configured appropriately.
• A copy of the GUIDE callback code
The tool will also generate a report describing:
• Steps to follow to update your callback code for use in App Designer
• Any limitations or unsupported functionality the tool detected, and workarounds if available
You should consider the following before migrating your app -
1. You will need to manually migrate your callback code to be compatible with App Designer. You can use information from the report to complete the code transition for your app.
2. Some features of GUIDE, such as Toolbar, contextmenu, and ActiveX control are not supported in App Designer. Your app may not be suitable for migration to App Designer if it makes use of unsupported functionality. Review Graphics Support in App Designer for more information: https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/creating_guis/graphics-support-in-app-designer.html.
After downloading and installing the migration tool, you can run it in any of these ways:
• Start App Designer, and select Open > Open GUIDE to App Designer Migration Tool from the Designer tab.
• Start GUIDE, and select the Open Existing GUI tab in the GUIDE Quick Start dialog box. Then select a FIG file in the list, and click the Migrate to App Designer button.
• Open a FIG file in GUIDE, and select File > Migrate to App Designer.
Umair, to install the migration tool, start App Designer, and select Open > Open GUIDE to App Designer Migration Tool from the Designer tab. Click "Get Add-on" on the dialog box that appears. The Add-on Explorer will then launch and open up the page to the migration tool. Click "Install" to download and install the tool. If you need further assistance, please contact Install and Licensing Support at email@example.com or create a help ticket at https://www.mathworks.com/support/contact_us.html.
Sir i am a bit confused how to install GUIDE to App Designer Migration Tool for MATLAB.
Roman, please contact Install and Licensing Support to get help installing the migration tool offline. You can send them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or create a help ticket at https://www.mathworks.com/support/contact_us.html.
Can you please provide an .mltbx format or anything else, I'm having problems installing this due to company firewalls.
Greg, thank you for your comment. GUIDE is 0-based for all units except for pixels which is 1-based. Because App Designer uses pixel units, the migration tool first converts all units to pixels before performing the migration. Therefore, it is not necessary for the migration tool to adjust the position by 1 pixel.
FYI - from the R2016b release notes - "The position property of App Designer components uses a 1-based origin in pixel units. In R2016a, App Designer components used a 0-based origin." GUIDE also uses a 0-based origin.
This migration tool does NOT add 1 to the position left/bottom elements.
The GUIDE to App Designer Migration Tool is available for R2018a and higher.
For which versions of MATLAB is this migration tool compatible?
In R2016a I get the following error: 'GUIDE to App Designer Migration Tool for MATLAB is not available for this release of MATLAB'. It would seem reasonable to assume that the migration tool would be interoperable between recent versions.
Greg, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We've added some additional information to the description to help people discover and use the tool.
I've submitted a complaint to TheMathWorks that the tools is next to impossible to discover (figure out how to launch after installation). Here are the tricks:
1) Execute the MATLAB command "guide"
2) In the "GUIDE Quick Start" dialog, navigate to the tab "Open Existing GUI"
3) Press the button "Migrate to App Designer..."
1) Open in the GUIDE UI design environment a GUIDE-based app/figure that you have already created.
2) Select "File --> Migrate to App Designer..."
1) Launch appdesigner
2) Open --> Open GUIDE to App Designer Migration Tool...
Tara, the tool is meant for MATLAB R2018a and higher.
I am getting an error installing this package. The error says, " this package is not supported by your Operating system or your MATLAB version." I am using Windows 8.1 and 2017b of Matlab.
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.