Classical Control Design
Using the Control System Designer app, you can interactively design and analyze single-input, single-output (SISO) controllers for feedback systems. You can design controllers using various graphical and automated tuning methods. To choose the best tuning method for your application, see Control System Designer Tuning Methods.
For information about tuning SISO controllers in Simulink® models, see Classical Control Design (Simulink Control Design).
|Control System Designer||Design single-input, single-output (SISO) controllers|
Control Design Basics
- Choosing a Control Design Approach
Control System Toolbox™ provides several approaches to tuning control systems.
- Getting Started with the Control System Designer
This example shows how to tune compensators for a feedback control system using Control System Designer.
- Control System Designer Tuning Methods
You can tune compensators using various graphical and automated tuning methods.
- Feedback Control Architectures
When you open Control System Designer from MATLAB®, you can select one of six possible control architecture configurations.
- Design Requirements
Using Control System Designer, you can tune your compensator to satisfy various time-domain and frequency-domain design requirements.
- Programmatically Initializing the Control System Designer
This example shows how to configure Control System Designer from the command line and how to create functions to customize the startup of a Control System Designer session.
- Bode Diagram Design
Bode diagram design is an interactive graphical method of modifying a compensator to achieve a specific open-loop response.
- Root Locus Design
Root locus design is a common control system design technique in which you edit the compensator gain, poles, and zeros in the root locus diagram.
- Nichols Plot Design
Nichols plot design is an interactive graphical method of modifying a compensator to achieve a specific open-loop response.
- Edit Compensator Dynamics
Achieve your design goals by manually editing compensator poles, zeros, and gains.
- Design Compensator Using Automated Tuning Methods
Tune a compensator using automated tuning methods in Control System Designer.
Compensator Tuning in Simulink
- Tune Simulink Blocks Using Compensator Editor
This example shows how to tune Simulink® blocks using the Compensator Editor dialog box in Control System Designer.
- Single Loop Feedback/Prefilter Compensator Design
Tune the closed-loop performance of a single-loop system using a feedback compensator, and then tune the system response to changes in the reference signal using a prefilter.
- Cascaded Multiloop Feedback Design
To design compensators for cascaded multi-loop systems, first tune the compensator for the inner loop and then tune the outer-loop compensator.
Systems with Special Characteristics
- Compensator Design for a Set of Plant Models
This example shows how to design and analyze a controller for multiple plant models using Control System Designer.
- Multimodel Control Design
Design a compensator for a set of plant models using Control System Designer.
- Design Compensator for Plant Model with Time Delays
Some Control System Designer design and analysis tools support exact time delays while others use approximations of time delays.
- Design Compensator for Systems Represented by Frequency Response Data
Design compensators for plant models defined by frequency response data using Control System Designer.
- Design Multiloop Control System
Design compensators for a control system with an inner and outer loop using Control System Designer.
Analysis and Validation
- Analyze Designs Using Response Plots
Analyze your control system designs using the plotting tools in Control System Designer.
- Compare Performance of Multiple Designs
Examine the effects of different tuning methods or compensator structures by comparing the performance of multiple compensator designs.
- Export Design to MATLAB Workspace
After designing your controller in Control System Designer, you can export your design to the MATLAB Workspace for further analysis or design.
- Generate Simulink Model for Control Architecture
To simulate your tuned control architecture, you can automatically generate a Simulink model from Control System Designer.
- Design Internal Model Controller for Chemical Reactor Plant
Design a compensator in an IMC structure for chemical reactors using Control System Designer.
- Design LQG Tracker Using Control System Designer
Design a feedback controller for a disk drive read/write head using LQG synthesis.
- Design Hard-Disk Read/Write Head Controller
Design a computer hard-disk read/write head position controller using classical control design methods.
- Reference Tracking of DC Motor with Parameter Variations
This example shows how to generate an array of LTI models that represent the plant variations of a control system from a Simulink® model.
- Digital Servo Control of a Hard-Disk Drive
This example shows how to use Control System Toolbox™ to design a digital servo controller for a disk drive read/write head.
- Yaw Damper Design for a 747 Jet Aircraft
This example shows the design of a YAW DAMPER for a 747® aircraft using the classical control design features in Control System Toolbox™.
- Feedback Amplifier Design
This example shows the design of a non-inverting feedback amplifier circuit using Control System Toolbox™.